A week ago today, lightening hit the Brown Household....here is how the story goes.....
It has been sunny and cloudy off and on all day. Towards the end of the work day, there was a HUGE clap of thunder and then the rain came. In arc form by the way. With the rain came hail. Because Greg was already on the Southside of town, I told him to go ahead and go home and start dinner as it was going to take me a while to get JL from school and home due to the weather.
I left work, got to JL's school in the down pour and hail. I could hardly see so I pulled over at Gulley park for 10 minutes. We sang some songs and then the rain subsided just long enough for me to get on Old Wire Road. John Lleyton has no fear of thunder or lightening, but even this storm had him at his quietest.
As I got closer to the house, I called Greg. I said "Hey I cant hear you due to the rain or hail but I wondered if you could move the bikes so I could pull in the garage to avoid having to get JL out in the hail?"....I was literally one minute from the house. We heard the biggest thunder yet, then lightening, and we then turning on our street.
As we pulled in, the garage door was down so I honked. I honked again because my garage door opener was not opening it. I was thinking "maybe the rain is so thick it cant get signal????".
Anyway, after waiting in the driveway for a couple of minutes, Greg manually opens the garage door and lets us in. He is MAD....which I can literally say, I have seen Greg mad maybe three or four times. I was thinking .....who pooped in his Cheerios? WELL....he was not mad...he was STUNNED.
After we hung up our phones, he was putting his bike on the hooks in the garage when lightening struck our satellite dish. The dish is connected to the eave of our garage. It radiated into the garage ceiling and got Greg, the garage door opening, both TVs and DVD players and our computer. All of things are in different parts of the house. There are a couple of sockets blow too. The A/C ran even though it was OFF....and other wierd things happened on into the night. By the next day things were fine.
Greg was actually thrown from his bike and felt wierd for a few hours. He said it does hurt when it happens and you just feel dazed. We are not sure if it was because he as holding on to the rubber tires or what...but we are sure he is lucky.
Soooo...we have no internet, no tv (which we really dont miss since we dont watch it much), and the dvd players are gone. JL has a portable one which he watches his My BAby Can Read on...so we are set and not missing much, we feel. Everyone has been out to the house to assess the damage and apparantly they all say we got hit pretty bad. Even though they say that, we feel so lucky and know God was watching over all of us. Timing was everything. If JL and I had been one minute later, we would have been in the garage and possibly hit too.
Signing off and counting our blessings.....The Browns.
No comments:
Post a Comment