“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”
Tuesday, September 02, 2008
Oh No!
Poor Poppy....the little guy has been so fussy lately. Greg and I had been racking our brains as to what was going on. Is it something I ate, is it the formula, wrong nipples on new bottles?? Are we holding him wrong? Lets try gas drops, and gripe water, and maybe lets try swaddling him,....how about walking, talking, shhhing, a warm bath,......? Let me change him again, rock him again, not rock him, lay him down..... Did I leave anything out?
On top of all of this he was still waking up and feeding like had never been fed before. He would crunch his legs, claw his face, pull at his cheeks, spit up all over, cry uncontrollably, etc. This has been going on since we brought him home. It kept getting progressivly worse to the piont that I was personally only getting about 45 min of sleep a night. I have never walked so much in my life with a 10 pound package on me :)....
Last night was the worst. He cried non stop for about 9 hours. The swing didnt help, the car ride didnt help, swaddling didnt help....I was just sure he was sick.
We called the after hours hotline and talked to a very nice nurse. She determined he probably has colic and reflux. She gave us some tips and pointers and then reminded us she is not a doctor and to go ahead and make an appointment. We started calling at 8:00 am. The office was on Greg's way to work so he just stopped in and personally made an appointment since they were not answering thier phones. Appt was at 11:30.
Guess what. Poppy was the dream baby at the appointment...not fussy, nothing. Just his little handsome self. Gosh.....
Anyway...after discussion with the doc....he also decided it is colic AND possibly reflux as well. Double Whammie right?
The pain I feel when Poppy cries and I cant console him is something I cant describe. The doc summed it up....he said "May the Lord be with you". (He has four children and the last one was colic) For those of you that have a child with colic...I understand now. I think the Lord puts you in situations so you can help others.....I hope I can help someone one day deal with this....
I told a girl from work "it is the hardest thing I have ever done". I pray for Poppy's sake it gets better soon...i know it can last for months. Doc said the peak week is next week.
Please say your prayers for Poppy...not me...or Greg...but Poppy. We can handle it...it is hard...and is bringing us closer in many ways...but man...will it make you tired and sad.
Right now, Poppy is sound asleep in his pack n play...looking precious as ever, while Greg and I are hoping we get to enjoy dinner together. It will be the first time since we brought him home we get to eat together!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Woman I feel you, Davis had them both as well. I may have lost my mind and blocked out the memory of it. It is a hard time, but you can make it thru it. The reflux meds Davis was given, seemed to make him shakey and more irritable. So we stopped those pretty quick, I think there were 2 of them, and one of them had that effect in some children. I don't know how many times I too just started crying because I couldn't get him to stop. Have you tried him in a swing yet? They have at the baby stores, slanted inserts you can put in the crib or pack and play that are supposed to help with the reflux.. I'm sure you've heard of most of the things... If I remember more I'll let you know.
Hey brandi! Gosh right now he hates and I do mean hates his swing, papason, car seat and crib.....as long as he is somewhat swaddled and held upright on his stomach he is USUALLY ok. We have acolic dance we do if all else fails. Greg can soothe him in the sling, but it doesn't work with me. Ssoooo carrying arpund 10.5 pounds all day is taking a toll on my back and legs. We have to keep him upright 1 jour after each feeding ....I know sounds nuts,but it works for the reflux like magic for now. We are grasping at straws.......but I know, in time,...."this too shall pass"
William had colic every night for months, but I did find some great things that worked.
#1 - heating pad on his belly (I used a rice-filled heating pad called a "bed buddy" - you can borrow it if you want - I can bring it to you - it just takes 1 minute, literally, to microwave)
#2 - I have a vibrating chair that I would put William in, and sometimes I would combine the heat on his belly with the vibrations and we could get some rest. You're welcome to borrow the chair too if you don't have one.
He slept in this chair for about the first four months of his life. Prescription reflux medicine didn't help William at all, and the gas drops were pointless, but heat really worked. I also found a way to pull his legs up a certain way to help him pass gas (sounds weird, but like you I was so upset that he was hurting). Hang in there - it's so hard not to sleep, but you're right - this will pass. Let me know if you want to borrow either or both of the things I mentioned - Christy
Post a Comment