Wednesday, September 17, 2008

7 weeks old---update

Poppy is 7 weeks old today! My how he has grown! He starts 'school' next week. We dropped by today to meet our teachers. I think they are gonna love him :) The told him how handsome he is and cant wait to cuddle with him. This makes a momma feel good. We had just returned from the doctor with an RX for reflux meds. The ladies told me that Poppy has a little friend in his room that has colic and reflux as well and he is 7 weeks old. They can be Grumpy Old Men together :) Right now, he is smiling more and more at us and starting to laugh and coo even more. He is kicking his legs and waving his arms alot as well. He is starting to be more independent as well. We have all of this nice contraptions that he has yet to enjoy, but I have faith we are turning a corner. He sits in his papason seat or his rainforest swing for 10 minutes at a time and just kicks his legs and squeals. He really likes it! He still HATES his swing and is absolutely miserable through every feeding. The reflux medication starts to work in 2 weeks so hopefully I will get a feeding where I can just look at him, him look at me, and we can sing and talk ....it is awful watching him in pain as he eats each bottle. The doctor explained that he has some 'rough spots' on his esophagus right now, which means the reflux has basically burned his esophagus raw and it needs to heal. Poor guy. The colic is better. We are not getting any sleep but we have found some tricks that work and the crying spells are shorter. We are still up most of the night walking and talking and singing and bouncing. You would think you could bounce a quarter off my butt by now......not so lucky. :( I think he will sleep longer and sounder now as well once the meds kick in. Right now he wakes up about every 20 minutes in pain due to the reflux.....he just stirs for a little bit then we can usually pacify him back to sleep with patting or a pacifier. Wonder what it will feel like when we get some solid sleep??? I go back to work starting Monday.....so wish me luck!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

He is beautiful, Kristy! Poor guy, I hope the meds help him. The twins were on meds for reflux as well. They were different babies once the meds kicked in, and it was obvious when meds needed to be increased as they grew. Hang in there!

Christy Dean said...

I love that top picture of him! He looks exactly like both of you combined - I see both (not just Greg anymore). He is changing so fast! I hope you are all able to get some sleep soon - that has been the only difficult adjustment since having my baby. Take care!

The Traxsons said...

hang in there girl! i can't believe it's already time to go back to work. i'll be thinking about you on monday :)

Matt and Jolee said...

Good luck adjusting back to work. :-)