Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Play time

So playtime for a 4 week old is a little different than a toddler....but we sat outside this morning on the front porch and 'played'. Poppy is making some little noises...not quite cooing yet. He is starting to make some deliberate eye contact and will smile when I kiss him! He likes to sit in this chair and put his hands around my thumb and pull up. He is so strong! He is also enjoying tummy time here lately. We will do some tummy time later in the day outside possibly. I am really starting to enjoy my time off with him. It is amazing how you can almost see them grow before your eyes. I am still amazed at how much he looks like his daddy. They even wake up the same way...slowly, stretching, and the last thing to happen is open thier eyes. It is so funny. Poppy is also a very light sleeper like mommy....stirring ever so often to check out what is going on then falling right back to sleep. He is eating 3 ounces every 3 hours and is much more content with breatmilk and formula. His belly gets full and he goes out like a light! Wouldnt you know he loves to sleep on his belly just like his mommy. His doctor will not like to hear this. I have been letting him fall asleep on his belly on me, then flipping him once I lay him down. We get lucky if he doesnt notice...but if he does....it is another round of patting and shushing.....and laying down again .....

6 comments:

Kathleen Villar said...

I love your little updates. He has grown up so much since I saw him and isn't about to slow down! He is going to have such a good time outside this fall discovering his new world.

I have a tummy sleeper too!

Anonymous said...

Let him sleep on his belly. The "Back to sleep" campaign is ridiculous for attentive mothers like you! ALL of my babies slept on their tummies...working with OTs helped me feel comfortable with my decision. Now, PTs are finding an unusual percentage of babies having to have therapy because they are physically delayed in crawling...hmmm....wonder why? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out! Tummy time is a necessity! They need the "strength training" of lifting their head (think abs) and turning it from side to side. One OT explained how preemies develop some vision problems (side to side) (peripheral) because of too much time on their backs.
Do you have a baby wrap to carry him in? Get one. Infant seats are horrendous for their physical development. Too much time on their backs!
(You know I'm going to give you my opinion!)
Love you.
Loved the pics - what a sweetie!

Cindy Watson said...

He is his momma's boy...in the heat of August outside with long-sleeves and a blanket. Ha! I am glad you all are getting a routine and having fun together. What memories you will cherish! You are doing a great job with him and learning what works for him and what he likes. You are an AWESOME mommy!

Matt and Jolee said...

I gotta kick out of his long sleeves and blanket, too! lol

I agree with Marria. I already told you about my 2 of 3 "stomach" sleepers... Get your sleep and let him get his :-)

Cody Villar said...

Kristy, I don't normally coment on these things, but I want to say it looks like you and Greg are doing a wonderful job. You are going to get a lot of people giving you their opinions of what you should and shouldn't do. My opinion is, do whatever you are comfortable with and don't worry about the rest. Good luck and have fun.

The Traxsons said...

I love the pictures! I can't believe that I let another week go by without visiting. I feel like the worst friend ever! It took the whole week to catch up after being gone. Hopefully this upcoming week will be better!

Yes, do what you need to do! Sam didn't sleep on his back either. His side or tummy was the only way he'd go to sleep. He still lays on his tummy to go to sleep!