“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”
Tuesday, April 01, 2008
Eye Contact
"Of all the ways we communicate, eye contact is the most powerful" according to Dr.Peter Marsh who wrote EYE to EYE. So lets talk about the ABSENCE of eye contact. I have found it is pretty dang powerful as well.
Today I had a routine dr. appointment. This dr. appointment happened to coincide with a nice catered lunch at work. Now let me just say, during this pregnancy I have eaten like a Queen. I have really not denied myself much....sigh. Poppy loves to eat about every 2 hours. Usually fruit and the occasional pringles, but lately it is Schwans Race Trax Drumsticks. Man do they hit the spot. I even timed myself one night...I can eat one in 2.5 minutes. Now that is sick.
Back to the dr. appointment: I sign in, I give them a 'sample'...you girls know what I mean, they weigh me, then take my blood pressure. My blood pressure was high so I made her retake it right before I left again, which it had returned to below normal.
Know why my blood pressure was high? The nurse took it AFTER she weighed me! Oh MY LORD! No more ice cream Poppy, so no more screamin' for it.
The Doc comes in, goes down his usual check list which is:
protien levels in urine, blood pressure....then weight.....
This is where EYE CONTACT comes into play. He did not make any during the whole conversation below:
"No protien in your urine, looks great. No complaints in general right? great. Blood pressure looks good. (pause) Do you work out?"
My response was...."well I walk about 15 min a day on the treadmill during breaks at work".
Doc says (remember, all the while no eye contact)..."you need to bump that to 30 minutes".
OKAY DOC. I will be sure to get on that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
he is going to loose his place on the "favorite doctor in the world list". he better watch his comments. if he wants to throw those comments around...he needs to look at you in the eye. i think you could look more PERFECT!
LOL! That made me laugh. I got a speech one time to and it just so happened to be the ONE appt that my mom went to with me. Of 3 pregnancy's, one doctor appt we discussed my "eating habits" and my mom is there. I was so mad! I had gained like 5 pounds that time... yet, prior to that I had only gained 2 pounds my whole pregnancy and I was well into my 4th month by then! I was like, uhm... can we just look at the "OVERALL" gain and I'm still ok! Nothing like a shot to the ego. Hang in there! I'm sure you look as cute as ever. And yes, by the end of the pregnancy I gained my lovely 25 - 30 pounds, don't worry. Just takes me a while to pop!
OMG! I would have had to stick my tounge out at him. Enjoy your ice cream bars. You are giving all those yummy calories to the baby and he needs it all!
Don't worry about your weight. You look great! My doctor told me to stop obsessing about my pregnancy weight about week 30, because it would only make me crazy. :) Don't know if you are planning on nursing, but it helps it all the weight come off faster afterwards.
Post a Comment