“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”
Monday, December 31, 2007
New Years!
I know many of you have different traditions for New Years. It is so interesting to me the different family traditions we all have and sometimes, can tend to take for granted. It's the small things in life that can make us happy. New Years Traditions are one of those small things I look forward to each year. Greg's family does not have this tradition and he thought I was crazy when I told him what ours would be. Now he knows I am not crazy becuase there are others that share the same tradition! Here is OUR NEW YEARS TRADITION: Eat, black eyed peas, greens, and hog jowl. Why? See below:
One of the biggest New Year's traditions in the South is to cook a meal that will ensure that our year will be filled with luck, money, and good health. The meal consists of hog's jowl, greens, and black-eyed peas.
Hog's jowl is a lot like bacon, except it isn't smoked. Another big difference is that hog's jowl in probably 80% fat and only 20% lean meat. Hog's jowl ensures good health for the New Year.
Even if you don't like greens, they are part of the New Year's traditions that take place in the South. In the South, if we want to ensure financial success for the New Year, make sure to eat greens each New Year's Day.
I want to leave you my friends with on more thing, a prayer:
New Year’s Prayer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Anonymous
A New Year’s Prayer
May God make your year a happy one!
Not by shielding you from all sorrows and pain,
But by strengthening you to bear it, as it comes;
Not by making your path easy,
But by making you sturdy to travel any path;
Not by taking hardships from you,
But by taking fear from your heart;
Not by granting you unbroken sunshine,
But by keeping your face bright, even in the shadows;
Not by making your life always pleasant,
But by showing you when people and their causes need you most,
and by making you anxious to be there to help.
God’s love, peace, hope and joy to you for the year ahead.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
i like the new layout. i miss the poppy ticker. happy new year. enjoy your black-eyed peas...
Cindy
thank god, someone else has to eat that meal as well. I thought my family was the only one and Marc thinks we are crazy too!
Love the new look...I am glad we made the change. Start new and fresh with the new year. So excited that you all are having a BABY!!!
Post a Comment