Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Advice

I dont usually rant on my blog....but I sort of felt a tug at this particular subject.

Being a first time mom, new mom, whatever your term for it is......I found that people LOVE to give advice.  A friend called me one time (before I had JL), to vent.  She was venting about the fact that when she called people about her woes of parenting she wasnt always looking for advice....just needed someone to listen.

This was a great piece of advice.   ---

I have had two fellow friends that have been "blessed" with colic babies lately.  They both have called me individually asking for advice and wanting to just cry.  It felt good to let them cry and get it out......

It also felt good that I was able to say to them (after they asked!)--- "What I tried was..."....and not say "you need to....". 

I remember eating dinner with my friends shortly after having JL and needing to get all of my emotions out. It was my first time out since having JL and I left him crying and came home to him crying.  Greg told me he never stopped the entire time I was gone.  I wanted to say "welcome to my maternity leave buddy", but instead I took JL and went for a walk outside.........he was a little more comfortable in my arms and cried less, but I was still afraid the neighbors were gonna come out and think I was hanging him by his toenails.  It was easier to hear him cry outside where it wasnt bouncing off the walls and killing my ears.

At dinner my friends, some mothers, some not, just let me vent, breathe, and get over it.  No advice......just smiles and the encouraging phrase, "What you are feeling is normal no matter how abnormal it feels".  I LOVE MY FRIENDS.


"Never give advice unless asked." ---German Proverb

 

No comments: