Tuesday, June 07, 2011

A wrinkle in time....

I am standing around, talking to another mother, and I see JL pondering over my face.  He is running around playing while intermittenly stopping to glance at my face while standing below me.  He was dying to interrupt the conversation so I gave him an opportunity by saying, "Poppy do you need some help?".  And here was how the conversation went....

"Yes, mama.  (while pointing up to me) I want those. that. I want that.  On your face".

"What on my face.  What do you want on my face, help me understand.  Point to it".

"That (while pointing to his forehead).  Those, those lines on your forehead, I want those".

As the other mother realizes what he wants, she chuckles.  She is older than I am and I realize she has gotten these same comments before as she says under her breath "Oh I remember those comments" with a smile.  I can tell she misses them and would give anything if her teenage son would only say something as innocent and sweet in a way.

My response.  "Honey, no worries, in no time, you will have these.  Lots of sun and worries are all it takes".  Poppy's response, "But I want them now".

So, we rubbed foreheads....and I pretended that some rubbed off and he was off to play again.  I can hear in the distance...." hey, look what I got".

No comments: