Friday, March 11, 2011

First Dentist Visit

3.9.11

JL had his first dentist visit at 10:30 today.  Greg took the morning off and stayed home with us so he could go to the dentist with us and take pictures.  JL has had his teeth or gums brushed since he starting teething at 2.5 months.  At four months he had completely cut 2 teeth and I started brushing them really well.  He has always loved the brushing.  Most recently he wants to brush his own teeth before I finish them off.  He is also very interested flossing which we will make a part of our normal routine soon.


They called us back after a short wait in a really cool waiting room.  Very subdued and laid back, quiet.......perfect for JL.  He found a little wagon that he wanted to ride in so we pushed him in it for about one minute before they called us back,


He took four x-rays, sat through a 30 minute cleaning, and a 5 minute dental check by Dr. Ward.  He was so good.  I was amazed, but really shouldnt have been.  We have been reading stories about this day since before he could talk.  We play doctor and dentist often.  He is not so gentle when playing dentist but maybe he will be now :)


I got a little nervous the morning we went because, when we play dentist we are alwasy sitting up.  I knew he would be laying down and never thought to prepare him for that until that morning!  Well....I started to brainstorm.  He is really into space and astronauts right now so I told him he woudl get to lay in an astronaut chair that might move a little.  He was all for it was fine!  The hygenist played a long and was SO wonderful! 


All in all, it went great and I am so proud of little man!

X Rays.  He took 4.  I could see his teeth are going to be like mamas!
The Hygienist is explaining what will happen.


She showed him the light.





The cleaning began.
 
and the cleaning continued.





He got to suction himself.  Such a good helper.



A little scraping.....


 
more checking...




Dr. Ward counting teeth


He says I'm Perfect!

I worked so hard and  I got a goody bag and a toothbrush!

1 comment:

Shannon @ nwaMotherlode said...

Very creative, Kristy! My kiddo doesn't do so well at the dentist. She HATES being flat on her back while she's getting her teeth looked at. So do I, actually. I always ask Valerie to let me sit up a little...