Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas Mass 2010

The last two years, JL has pretty much slept through Mass.  This year he was very attentive.  I wanted, for scrapbooking purposes, to document some of the things that happened.  This post is more for my memory!

We had just been to Mass week before for the children's mass where he got to watch the story of baby Jesus. He enjoyed the sheperds, baby Jesus, and the angels.  He loves to hear any type of music and if there is a solo part, he gets completely quiet and gets sort of in a trance.  We might have an entertainer on our hands :)

We woke up Christmas Eve morning and spent the first half of the day with Greg's parents doing Christmas.  We headed home after lunch for JL to nap.  After nap we hung around the house and then got ready for church.  Church started at 630, but the choir does a special chorus starting at 615.  This was probably JL's favorite part because he was sure they were opera singers.  He also thought, at the end of each song, it was time to clap.  He was one of 2 kids at mass, and the other child was a new born baby.  So, the clapping was quite an attention getter.

He was very good during Mass.  He waited for his turn to talk (which is when we say the Lords prayer and Amen) and sang with us.  Here are some of the things I heard during Mass:

"Mommy I see a baby Jesus and a big Jesus!  The big Jesus is proud of me!"

"Mommy, are you my mother?  Who is baby Jesus' mother?"

"When can I say Amen"

"I want to hear the opera singers again"

At the end of Mass they turn the lights down and we pray by candlelight and sing Silent Night......
As soon as the lights went down....in the dead silence, JL says
"Mom its dark and baby Jesus will be scared"

Mass lasted an hour and a half and it was a very peaceful family experience as it always is.  I am not sure what it is about the Christmas mass, but it always humbles me and makes me reflect on the year and encourages me to make changes.

No comments: